Keep Your Home off Coronavirus with these Tips
Now that everyone is practising social distancing, an important thing to remember is keeping your home free of the COVID-19 germs.
As per the Centers for Disease Control and preventions, the following measures should be taken.
Clean and Disinfect
- Door handles
- Surfaces that are frequently exposed to touch like countertops
- Remote controls
- Toilet and hand flush
- Chairs with a hardback
The steps for cleaning are:
- Remove grease or dirt from surfaces using soaps and detergents before disinfecting.
- Let the disinfectant remain on the surface to dry out for some time before wiping it off.
- Post disinfection, wash off cooking equipment and surfaces, including countertops, cutting boards and more, with water before using.
CDC Recommended Disinfectants
- Dilute Bleach
Take 4 quarts of bleach per quart of cold water in order to prepare a bleach solution. Remember to check the manufacturer’s instructions for proper ventilation and use. Apart from this, make sure that the solution has not passed its expiry date and take care to never mix the household bleach with ammonia or another cleanser. A non-expired bleach solution will be effective in clearing off your home of coronavirus.
- Alcohol-based Solutions
Solutions having an alcohol percentage of 70 or more are effective COVID-19 disinfectants.
- Labelled disinfectants
Wipes, sprays, concentrates and more that are labelled as disinfectants and have an EPA registration number are products that can be used. All these are expected to assure national safety and be potent enough to kill coronavirus. Here is a list of such disinfectants: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2020-03/documents/sars-cov-2-list_03-03-2020.pdf One thing to remember is to inevitably follow manufacturer’s instructions regarding concentration, usage, contact time and more for all listed disinfectants and cleaners.
Tips to Stay Safe in Homes
Keep Your Hands Disinfected
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds with soap and water every now and then. This is especially important if you recently visited a public place or sneezed, coughed or blew your nose.
- Disinfect your hands thoroughly with a 60% or more alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Rub on all hand surfaces till dry.
- Do not touch your hands, mouth and nose with unwashed hands.
Wash Your Clothes
- In order to kill germs off fabrics, use a detergent and bleach (regular or colour-safe) or peroxide to wash your clothes after reading the instructions in order to prevent damage.
- Some washing machines have disinfection or steam treatment options to augment the effect of detergents and kill off viruses.
- Another effective method is drying the laundry in a hot dryer cycle for about 45 minutes.
Dishwashers in Disinfection Cycles
When it comes to dishwashers, an NSF International certified, one must achieve a rising temperature of about 150 degrees, and when working in the cycle must kill about 99.999% bacteria.
Following all these tips will give you enhanced peace of mind and provide additional help apart from social distancing. Only by doing our part will the world get through these turbulent times.
Feel free to contact the Tradie team for any support during the crisis. We will be at your service.